Berlin's first neo-classical palace dates back to the time of Frederick the Great. It was built in 1785 and designed by Philipp Daniel Boumann on land where once grew mulberry trees for sericulture. In just one year the castle was built and then the youngest brother of King Ferdinand of Prussia used it as a princely royal summer palace and country estate. Until 1918 it was inhabited by the Hohenzollern, from 1935 to 1938 it served as the Museum of Ethnology.
After heavy destruction during the Second World War, the castle was rebuilt in its old form, just with a different interior. From the time of origin 1791 is only the oval ballroom, designed by Carl Gotthard Langhans, on the top floor of the castle preserved.
Since 1959 the castle serves the presidents as berlin branch, since 1993 it is again her first official residence. When the president is in Bellevue Castle, the banner of the president is hoisted on the roof of the castle.
Spreeweg (north of the Victory Column)
S-Bahn: Bellevue: S5, S7, S75, S9
Bus: Schloss Bellevue: 100, 187; Paulstr.: 187; Big Star: 100, 106, 187