The monumental Brandenburg Gate is an approximately two hundred years of history. It was built 1788-1791 on the orders of the Prussian king Friedrich Wilhelm II after the design by Carl Gotthard Langhans, who closely follows the Propylaea of the Athens Acropolis. The last of the former 14 city gates opening onto the Pariser Platz and the Prussian boulevard "Unter den Linden" and allowed a direct access road to the castle. Was it by the year 1989, a symbol of the division of Berlin and Germany, it is now a national symbol of unity and therefore one of the most famous landmark of the city. The imposing sandstone building is one of the largest and most beautiful creations of German classicism.